Skip to main content

Blog Post 5 - Connecting the Dots

(1) There are definitely themes from the different posts that connect together and tie in concepts that we are learning from lecture. Each post had an aspect of the economy and the dynamic of organizations but allowed us to reflect on our experiences and life stories. From organizational changes to opportunistic behavior to transfer pricing, the concepts all had relevance to the economy of organizations. These concepts are all simple in the sense that they apply to our lives and things that we experience at the most basic level of organizations that we are a part of.

(2) The ways that the posts correlated to the course themes as whole is seen through the excel homework and the posts together. The excel homework goes over the concepts in a problem solving way where as the prompts for each post take those mathematical methods and develop them as more overarching themes. When I first approached each prompt, I did not fully understand the connection to the course overall since they were all very specific to finding events in our lives that would connect to a topic. The second and third post ask for personal experiences where as the fourth allowed me to take the idea of transfer pricing and develop a system for it according to the specifics of the prompt itself.

(3) My process for writing these posts definitely changed even over just four prompts. At first, I didn't address details and provide a lot of context and background for the incidents I was choosing to talk about for each prompt. After the feedback I was getting from the Professor and also understanding more so about how to write a proper blog, I began telling the stories better and organizing my writing better. I think the quality of my posts has improved since the first and will get better as I practice more and read other student's writing.

(4) If I was writing the prompts and coming up with topics that not only bring in concepts from the class material but also can tie in to personal experiences, I would think back to all of my leadership roles and times of being in team settings. This reflection would let me take those moments and turn them into potential prompts for other students to also reflect on. The fourth prompt of coming up with a potential system for transfer pricing used for the university was very interesting to me. I think prompts like these allow students to think outside of the box and come up with creative solutions. This prompt had direction and specificity but also an open-ended aspect to it that would let every student's response be different. I think I would like to have more opportunities to write posts like that one.

Comments

  1. I am glad you wrote (2), connecting the blog posts to the Excel homework. I do want to note that the connection is sometimes, not always. It would have been even better if you gave specific examples. The Illinibucks post and the Transfer Pricing Excel homework had some definite connections. The opportunism post and the Prisoner's Dilemma game also have some connections. Making the connections explicit will sharpen your understanding fo the subject matter.

    Regarding your comments about open ended prompts in your (4), other students have said likewise. I wonder if you can learn to do this on your own - with practice of course. If you want to try this in the second half of the course feel free to do so. Remember that you aren't required to write to the prompt. You can choose your own, but then must connect it back to course themes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 3 - Opportunistic Behavior

I was on the high school speech and debate team and I mainly focused on two events. I did impromptu and team policy. Impromptu was where you were given three topics and limited time to pick one and deliver a five minute speech on that topic. Team policy was in pairs and you and your partner would develop a thorough case that is used all year long to advocate for that plan and refute all arguments that opposing teams will present against it. The point of this event is to modify the case as the year goes to make it better and better. There was one year that me and my partner were competing in states for our speech and debate league. We were doing incredibly well and had been winning round after round. It then came time to the round right before finals and during this semi final round it was very close and very unsure if we had won or not. When we found out we won as a pair we also knew who we would be going against in the final round due to hearing about it from other teams. In that m

Blog Post 2 - Organizational Changes and Transaction Costs

Description: Transaction costs has to do with the changes when choosing one form of capitalist organization over another. I am currently a part of CUBE Consulting and although I have not experienced any drastic changes of that sort, I have definitely seen changes in the dynamic of the organization as a whole due to the leadership. When I first joined the organization, I did not necessarily feel like it was the family environment that I had hoped for an RSO of this size. I think part of it was due to the leadership being close to graduation at the time I had gotten into CUBE. The leadership of any organization really sets the tone for the rest of the members and I believe at the time the sense of community was lacking a little and I felt as though everyone had friend groups within CUBE that were already established. This meant that all the new members could be friends, but I was initially hoping to be more integrated into the existing community. However, the following semester, when t

Blog Post 10 - Triangle Model

This model in relation to the different types of conflicts we have been addressing is very interesting. I believe in situations when a person is trying to mediate two sides of a situation it must be done in a very reasonable and thought-out way in order to come out with the most successful outcome. I have experienced this in multiple situations both in work and internships as well as in RSOs on campus. Holding a leadership position often puts people in situations where they have to balance out the authoritative aspects with also maintaining a positive relationship with every member of their team. I have talked about my experience in an on-campus consulting organization in a lot of my blog posts because of the amount of real-life experience it has provided for me. My experience in CUBE consulting, an entirely student-run organization has taught me so much about the way organizations run and has provided me examples of a lot of the situations talked about in this class.  As a