Skip to main content

Blog Post 2 - Organizational Changes and Transaction Costs

Description:
Transaction costs has to do with the changes when choosing one form of capitalist organization over another. I am currently a part of CUBE Consulting and although I have not experienced any drastic changes of that sort, I have definitely seen changes in the dynamic of the organization as a whole due to the leadership. When I first joined the organization, I did not necessarily feel like it was the family environment that I had hoped for an RSO of this size. I think part of it was due to the leadership being close to graduation at the time I had gotten into CUBE. The leadership of any organization really sets the tone for the rest of the members and I believe at the time the sense of community was lacking a little and I felt as though everyone had friend groups within CUBE that were already established. This meant that all the new members could be friends, but I was initially hoping to be more integrated into the existing community. However, the following semester, when the leadership changed, I also started to see a change in the overall atmosphere. The executive board was communicating a lot more to the project managers and the consultants and it felt like there was no power difference. The organization structure had minimal changes with the way the leaders and members interacted and the level of contribution the members could have. These structural changes within the organization most likely contributed to the atmosphere and dynamic changes within the community of CUBE. The transaction cost of choosing a more collaborative structure for an organization gave positive results overall.

Comments

  1. This post is inadequate. You should not assume that I know what Cube Consulting is. (In fact I don't know anything about it.) So you need to provide some context for what you say by explaining its purpose and how it functions. Then you might also add why you joined and what you expected to get from doing that.

    You first sentence gives a kind of definition of transaction costs. I wonder where that came from. In class yesterday I said that transaction costs are what is incurred so the transaction doesn't get screwed up. If you used that as a definition, but then talked about how the outgoing leadership didn't integrate in new members, then it seems your illustration actually is talking about a transaction that is not a good outcome.

    So, you might have then speculated what it would take that leadership integrates in the newer members and the transition in leadership goes smoothly. You did explain that the new leadership communicated more. Is that all it took, or was it also the nature of what was communicated? And then you might ask whether rules for the organization could be written so that new members are integrated in or if that depends on the personalities of the leaders. Coming up with more effective rules would be an example of transaction costs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 3 - Opportunistic Behavior

I was on the high school speech and debate team and I mainly focused on two events. I did impromptu and team policy. Impromptu was where you were given three topics and limited time to pick one and deliver a five minute speech on that topic. Team policy was in pairs and you and your partner would develop a thorough case that is used all year long to advocate for that plan and refute all arguments that opposing teams will present against it. The point of this event is to modify the case as the year goes to make it better and better. There was one year that me and my partner were competing in states for our speech and debate league. We were doing incredibly well and had been winning round after round. It then came time to the round right before finals and during this semi final round it was very close and very unsure if we had won or not. When we found out we won as a pair we also knew who we would be going against in the final round due to hearing about it from other teams. In that m

Blog Post 10 - Triangle Model

This model in relation to the different types of conflicts we have been addressing is very interesting. I believe in situations when a person is trying to mediate two sides of a situation it must be done in a very reasonable and thought-out way in order to come out with the most successful outcome. I have experienced this in multiple situations both in work and internships as well as in RSOs on campus. Holding a leadership position often puts people in situations where they have to balance out the authoritative aspects with also maintaining a positive relationship with every member of their team. I have talked about my experience in an on-campus consulting organization in a lot of my blog posts because of the amount of real-life experience it has provided for me. My experience in CUBE consulting, an entirely student-run organization has taught me so much about the way organizations run and has provided me examples of a lot of the situations talked about in this class.  As a